50. "'(I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was (Before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear Allah, and obey me.Isn't that interesting? The disciples are Muslims. I like this verse:
51. "'It is Allah Who is my Lord and your Lord; then worship Him. This is a Way that is straight.'"
52. When Jesus found Unbelief on their part He said: "Who will be My helpers to (the work of) Allah." Said the disciples: "We are Allah's helpers: We believe in Allah, and do thou bear witness that we are Muslims.
53. "Our Lord! we believe in what Thou hast revealed, and we follow the Messenger. then write us down among those who bear witness."
54. And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah.
55. Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.
And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned,Since it is also the First Sunday in Lent, I chose Luke 4:1-13. The lectionary advises Mark this year, but I want the temptation scene.
and Allah too planned,
and the best of planners is Allah.
Plotting and tempting we have. The devil tries to get Jesus to lose his way. Plotting and tempting keeps us from the straight path of integrity. The final verses of the Qur'an, Surah 114, bring it home:
1. Say: I seek refuge with the Lord and Cherisher of Mankind,This is I think a point where our two traditions meet. Jesus shows the way of integrity in both traditions. The whispering (whether from the devil or jinn or human faithlessness) is no match for refuge in God/Allah. Beyond our plotting, planning, and scheming, integrity is above all.
2. The King (or Ruler) of Mankind,
3. The Allah (for judge) of Mankind,-
4. From the mischief of the Whisperer (of Evil), who withdraws (after his whisper),-
5. (The same) who whispers into the hearts of Mankind,-
6. Among Jinns and among men.